Monday, November 21, 2011

Odyssey Books VIII-XII

I liked this passage. I was especially glad to have gotten the full of Ulysses's story. It was very blurry up to that point, and all I had known was that Neptune was mad at Ulysses and Ulysses had been trapped with Calypso. But out of all my reading, I couldn't keep my mind off the gruesome description with Cyclops, or Polyphemus. First disturbing paragraph, "The cruel wretch vouchsafed me not one word of answer, but with a sudden clutch he gripped up two of my men at once and dashed them down upon the ground as though they had been puppies. Their brains were shed upon the ground, and the earth was wet with their blood." It still went deeper into disturbingness, but I don't want to be reminded of anything more. It was also disturbing when they were twisting the peg into his eye! This isn't right, it's down-right disturbing - people had too much fascination with violence back then, a sick obsession and I hate it! I suppose people still find entertainment in violence, but this isn't right. If it's this disturbing with Cyclops/Polyphemus, I'm not sure the death of suitors will be so nice either. . . This has lowered my judgment of this book, and I'm downright angry at it right now.

3 comments:

  1. I guess it was pretty interesting, but I have heard from a couple people that the details were gory. Maybe it is so gross because it is written through Ulysses's voice, and he needs to show his masculinity through his tolerance of blood and guts. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, that was a little gruesome. Also I didn't publish my post on Wednesday morning this time, I published on Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to find out about Ulysses past. It was also nice to find the background for a lot of the second Percy Jackson book. This might sound weird, but it didn't really bother me when the cyclops killed Ulysses men, but it was kind of gross when they stabbed his eye.

    ReplyDelete