Sunday, December 4, 2011

Books XIII-XVII

Finally a reading without crap and fluff in it! O.K., I'm going to try to do this briefly. First, I'm going to talk about Neptune. It seems likie he would have tried harder than just turning the boat into a rock. And what will happen to the Phaeacians? They didn't deserve that! But I am still glad that Ulysses came home. Minerva turned him into the anonymous beggar, and it was annoying that he had such an intricate story when he didn't even have a name. Next, I found it so touching when Telemachus came back to Ulysses and they were crying. Random question: Why do all gods and goddesses get to control the wind?

Next, why did Argos the dog die as soon as he recognized Ulysses? And how did Argos recognize him? Then Ulysses begged all the suitors for food and such. This seemed risky, and afterwards when they said that the beggar might be a god or goddess, that made me realize how stressful that lifestyle would be, constantly worrying about your actions to please Jove. And lastly, Penelope wanted to hear the beggar's story. It seems like she would have heard enough stories by now, and they were false. I wouldn't even start to think that they were being honest no matter how nice they seemed. That's where it left off, so I tonight I'm going to start reading ahead. Happy reading, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I think that Argos the dog probably recognized Ulysses by his scent or his aura. He just seemed like Ulysses, the only person who ever cared for Argos. I am not sure why he died......out of shock?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the book is finally getting interesting. And maybe the wind is common ground?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what would happen if two gods tried to do different things with the wind...tornado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I as well liked the lack of fluff and such in this section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You pointed out how all the gods control all the winds together. What happens when they disagree about which direction the winds should blow? You also mentioned that it would be stressful constantly worrying about if you were pleasing Jove of not. If you grew up doing that for your whole life, it would seem natural, not stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this was the first section that we read that was all action and no fluff. I am not sure why the dog died.

    ReplyDelete