Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye questions through chapter six

  • To be unique is to have characteristics unlike anyone else, or just have extremely rare characteristics. I feel that in the story, no one is truly unique except for Ackley and Holden. Everyone else is just part of the school in slight moderation, and they are all very similar. Jane may be unique based on what Holden described, and also maybe the fact that he likes her, but I don't have enough information on her to know whether she is unique compared to everyone else.
  • To keep individuality in the adult world is not go by any one's rules. For example, Holden has a great amount of individuality because he hates to be like anyone else, and he doesn't even care that he isn't even going to school anymore. Ackley has individuality because he never does anything that people tell him to do - he never brushes his teeth, he never really ever does anything that you want him to do with common sense unless you yell at him. It's very hard to keep individuality in the adult world, especially with all the various scruples littered silently everywhere today.
  • I don't really have a favorite person, but if you put a gun to my head, I guess I would say my mom. There are very few similarities I can find between her and Allie - my mom doesn't go against what's expected of her appearance, and it's not that she's mean, but she wouldn't exactly be described extremely and outwardly nice, or at least with people that she's more comfortable with. But my mom does get good appraisal from her colleagues at work, much like Allie does  from school. And she is also one of the most intelligent people I know. It is much more street smarts than book smarts, but the book smarts she has include everything she would possibly need to live in the modern world, and she's also very resourceful. Otherwise she isn't really like Allie at all. Plus, I don't feel I know Allie enough from Holden's description of him, so it's kind of hard to make a comparison.

1 comment:

  1. You did a very good job of summing up individuality and how to keep it!

    ReplyDelete